School Direct: Secondary Entry Requirements
The TTSA seeks to recruit trainee secondary teachers with the potential to become outstanding. As an Alliance, we’re 100% committed to supporting you on that journey.
How do I apply?
You should make your initial application via UCAS. If you meet the entry requirements, we will invite you to an interview with our TTSA panel.
What qualifications and experience do I need?
You should have:
- a degree of class 2:2 or above (or equivalent). Science candidates must have a degree comprising at least 50% in your chosen subject specialism*
- GCSEs at grade C / 4 or above in Mathematics and English Language
- Applicants with overseas qualifications are welcome provided your qualifications are equivalent. You would need to check this with NARIC.
- excellent knowledge in your chosen subject
- an appreciation of education-related issues
- successfully complete the literacy and numeracy provider tests. (NB This will be carried out during interview and replace the professional skills tests)
*Apart from Science, if your degree is not in your chosen subject, your A levels in that subject must be grade C/4 or above (grade B/5 or above for Maths). You will also be offered a Subject Knowledge Enhancement (SKE) programme.
* Following guidance from the Department for Health with regard to the Covid-19 outbreak we have taken the decision to postpone all our training and events from 17th March 2020 until further notice. We are keen to ensure that you don’t miss out so will be rearranging all our events as soon as circumstances allow.
Although school experience is not an entry requirement, we would advise that this would support your career decision and also give you added knowledge and experience for your interview. Trinity Teaching School Alliance can offer school experience within one of the alliance schools.
Unfortunately, we have had to cancel school experience until further notice due to Covid-19. We hope you understand.
We offer a limited number of salaried training places in the shortage subjects – currently maths, physics, physics with maths, chemistry and English.
To apply for a salaried training place you must have at least three years’ experience in education or in work related to your subject area. Competition for salaried positions is keen and your classroom presence, expertise and subject knowledge must all be particularly strong. If you’d like to know more about these requirements, please get in touch.
What personal qualities do I need for the secondary programme?
Teaching is a demanding career and we’re looking for very special individuals who will thrive on the challenges they meet! You should therefore also be able to demonstrate:
- a passion not only for your subject(s) but also for working with young people
- commitment to a teaching career
- your ability to reflect on previous school experience
- effective communication skills (including written and spoken English)
- excellent interpersonal skills
- leadership potential
- personal initiative
- the ability to relate to and engage with young people
- personal attributes such as flexibility, independence and resilience
- an aptitude for clear explanation
- why teaching is the right career for you
- the ability to work effectively within a group.
Safeguarding young people is of utmost importance. Every teacher training candidate must pass a rigorous Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check which will reveal all convictions and relevant information held by the police. You will also need to provide satisfactory references that evidence your suitability for work with young people.