School Direct: Secondary Programme
Our secondary programme is designed to ensure that you accumulate the skills, knowledge, insight and experience you need for a successful career in secondary education.
We offer a variety of secondary-based programmes in a variety of subjects, including some salaried places for shortage subjects (currently English, maths, physics, chemistry and physics with maths).
You can choose to teach:
|Art & Design||Biology*||Physics*|
|Chemistry*||Computer Science||Design & Technology|
|History||Maths||Modern Foreign Languages|
|Music||Physical Education||Religious Education|
* You will need a relevant degree to access these courses. See entry requirements section.
How will I train?
Your bespoke programme will be varied, challenging and motivating and will incorporate:
- observation of skilled teachers at work in the classroom, followed by reflection and discussion
- placements in two contrasting examples of our high quality partner schools, with support from a skilled and dedicated mentor.
- weekly learning, training, study and assignments covering all aspects of education and pedagogy (eg the National Curriculum, how to prepare, plan and structure lessons; questioning techniques; special needs and behaviour management) and everything a successful teacher needs to know, be and do
- workshops, tutorials, lectures, guest speakers and small group work
- experience in primary, SEN and PRU placements with support from your mentor.