School Direct: Primary Entry requirements
The TTSA seeks to recruit trainee primary teachers with the potential to become outstanding. As an Alliance, we’re 100% committed to supporting you on your individual journey to ‘Outstanding’.
How do I apply?
You should make your initial application via UCAS. If you meet the entry requirements, we will invite you to an interview with our TTSA panel.
What qualifications and experience do I need?
You should have:
- a degree at class 2:2 or above (or an equivalent qualification)
- GCSEs at grade C/4 or above in Mathematics, English Language and Science
- Applicants with overseas qualifications are welcome provided your qualifications are equivalent. You would need to check this with NARIC.
- excellent knowledge in your chosen subject
- an appreciation of education-related issues
- successfully complete the literacy and numeracy provider tests. (NB This will be carried out during interview and replace the professional skills tests).
What personal qualities should I have?
Teaching is a demanding career and we’re looking for very special individuals who will thrive on the challenges they meet! You should therefore also be able to demonstrate:
- your enjoyment of work with children and young people
- commitment to a teaching career
- your ability to reflect on previous school experience
- effective communication skills (including written and spoken English)
- excellent interpersonal skills
- leadership potential
- personal initiative
- the ability to relate to and engage with young people
- personal attributes such as flexibility, independence and resilience
- an aptitude for clear explanation
- a passion not only for their subject(s) but for working with young people
- why teaching is the right career for you
- the ability to work effectively within a group.
Safeguarding children is of utmost importance. Every teacher training candidate must pass a rigorous Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check which will reveal all convictions and any relevant information held by the police. You will also need to provide satisfactory references that evidence your suitability for work with young people.
Although school experience is not an entry requirement, we would advise that this would support your career decision and also give you added knowledge and experience for your interview. Trinity Teaching School Alliance can offer school experience within one of the alliance schools.