School Direct: Secondary Entry Requirements
The TTSA seeks to recruit trainee secondary teachers with the potential to become outstanding. As an Alliance, we’re 100% committed to supporting you on that journey.
How do I apply?
What qualifications and experience do I need?
You should have:
- a degree of class 2:2 or above. Science candidates must have a degree comprising of at least 50% in your chosen subject specialism*
- GCSEs at grade C / 4 or above in Mathematics and English Language. This should be achieved prior to applying for the course.
- excellent knowledge in your chosen subject
- an appreciation of education-related issues
- knowledge in numeracy and literacy for tests at interview
- Applicants with overseas qualifications are welcome provided your qualifications are equivalent. You would need to check this with UK ENIC. Your UK ENIC should show that your degree is equivalent to an honours degree and to what classification e.g. 2:2. If English is not your first language, a IELTs qualification should be to 7.0 or equivalent.
*Apart from Science, if your degree is not in your chosen subject, your A level in that subject must be at least a grade C (Maths must be a grade B). You will also be offered a Subject Knowledge Enhancement (SKE) depending on the degree course you have take. Further guidance can be offered by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
* Following guidance from the Department for Health with regard to the Covid-19 outbreak we have taken the decision to postpone all our school experience from 17th March 2020 until further notice. We are keen to ensure that you don’t miss out so will be rearranging all our events as soon as circumstances allow.
Although school experience is not an entry requirement, we would advise that this would support your career decision and also give you added knowledge and experience for your interview. Trinity Teaching School Alliance can offer school experience within one of the alliance schools.
Unfortunately, we have had to cancel salaried placements until further notice due to Covid-19. This is due to our interview process for salaried trainees being a taught lesson. We hope you understand.
What personal qualities do I need for the secondary programme?
Teaching is a demanding career and we’re looking for very special individuals who will thrive on the challenges they meet! You should therefore also be able to demonstrate:
- a passion not only for your subject(s) but also for working with young people
- commitment to a teaching career
- your ability to reflect on previous school experience
- effective communication skills (including written and spoken English)
- excellent interpersonal skills
- leadership potential
- personal initiative
- the ability to relate to and engage with young people
- personal attributes such as flexibility, independence and resilience
- an aptitude for clear explanation
- why teaching is the right career for you
- the ability to work effectively within a group.
Safeguarding young people is of utmost importance. Every teacher training candidate must pass a rigorous Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check which will reveal all convictions and relevant information held by the police. You will also need to provide satisfactory references that evidence your suitability for work with young people.