The programme – primary candidates
Teaching is a hugely rewarding career and as an alliance we offer our primary trainees a great experience. You will not only enjoy a school -based approach, delivered in partnership with a world-class university, but you will be in the best possible position to secure paid employment upon completion.
Our School Direct programme has been designed and developed in partnership with outstanding experts from both Huddersfield University and across the schools within the alliance.
We have a strong focus on ensuring that trainees develop their knowledge, skills and professional attributes to become outstanding and inspirational teachers. Our training incorporates school-based practice with weekly professional learning delivered by Huddersfield University and outstanding staff from across the alliance. During training sessions you will work with trainees from other placement schools, allowing you time to collaborate, share good practice and engage in peer support. You will spend the majority of your training year in one school, but in addition you will also complete an alternative placement.
The programme will ensure that you gain a comprehensive knowledge of the core subjects (English, Mathematics and Science) and explore the full breadth of the National Curriculum. You will cover all aspects of primary education and pedagogy in your training. This will include topics such as behaviour for learning, how to prepare, plan and structure lessons, questioning techniques, demonstrating progress and co-operative learning strategies.
Your training will include the following:
- A placement in a high-quality primary school with support from a mentor.
- A different experience in a second placement school. This will be a chance to experience another key stage.
- A chance to experience other educational settings such as EYFS, a secondary school, PRU and special school.
- A programme of weekly academic learning and training. You will cover all aspects of education and pedagogy in your training. Study includes subject knowledge work in Maths, English, Science, Computing and the Foundation subjects. This is supported by professional development in areas such as managing behaviour, how to prepare, plan and structure lessons, questioning techniques, demonstrating progress and co-operative learning strategies. This is also a fantastic opportunity to network with like-minded primary colleagues, share good practice and engage in peer coaching.
- As well as securing your QTS, you will achieve a PGCE with up to 60 credits towards a Masters qualification.
- Research experience. As part of your study you will undertake research and learn how research can inform, and have a positive impact upon, your practice.
Our School Direct programme offers the highest quality training in a supportive, learning-rich environment, and we look forward to hearing from you if you feel inspired to be part of this opportunity!