Showing why you are right for the placement
Make sure your application demonstrates why you are right for the position being applied for. Along with demonstrating your passion for the role or subject you will also need to show:
- That you have researched why the TTSA is the right provider for you, and that you are up-to-date on educational issues.
- Why and how your degree is relevant, and how you will address any gaps in subject knowledge.
- Your commitment to the Key Stage you want to teach, and why you have this interest.
- If you are a primary applicant, then you must demonstrate knowledge of Maths, Science and English.
Selling your teaching and experience and what you have learnt
Experience is essential. If you have arranged some work experience but haven’t completed it yet, make sure you mention this. Ensure that you sell your experience – immense importance is placed upon this. Some ways to do this include:
- Keeping a log book of your experience, and sharing what you learnt. This could include reflecting on what went well, and what you may do differently in your own classroom.
- Talking about what you learnt about your own teaching style, and areas you would like to address.
- Don’t forget that other leadership roles working with children e.g. with Scouts can also provide valuable evidence of your ability to understand and engage with young people.
- In your work experience section, include all roles. Ensure it reflects how your experience is relevant to teaching and the skills you will need. Even if you did not work with children, there are always aspects of relevance such as teamwork and working well under pressure.